Day 98 – 8th April – Connecting the Parts (pt2)

Day 98 20180408

Despite some inclement weather today (light rain for most of the late afternoon), I’ve managed to get the second new top frame up and connected to the grapevine arches. There are still a couple of small things to do for it to be totally finalised, but the important parts are now complete. The remainder will have to wait for better weather. Hopefully this will mean that I don’t need to work on this part of the garden for a number of years.


Day 96 – 6th April – Connecting the Parts (pt 1)

Day 96 20180406

So with the wood ready to put in place I’ve replaced one set (two cross beams and 6 connecting batons) of the grapevine arches top frame. Happily enough, just about everything matched up and while it’s not quite perfect, most of the major connections lined up and I was able to remove and replace in a relatively short period of time. I should be able to get the second set up before the end of the weekend.

Day 95 – 5th April – Chipping Away

Day 95 20180405

With the raised beds now finished I still haven’t finished with the wood work. I have noticed that the top frame of the grape vine arches has rotted to the point it needs replacing. So I’ve marked up some new wooden batons and chiselled out the various connecting areas to create the overlapping connections where it will be screwed into the existing frame which remains good.

Day 86 – 27th March – Chipping Away

Day 86 20180327

As well as replacing a number of the raised beds I have for the vegetable patch, I have discovered that a number of parts of the wooden arches I have need replacing. They have two different grapevines climbing up them so they need to be relatively strong and some of the cross beams have rotted though, as well as their connecting beams. (As these are areas that water can more easily connect this isn’t a major surprise). So I’ve purchase more wood, as well as used some that I had from previous work. The intersections of these need to lock together and for this some chiselling of the beams to create that locking connection is needed. My previous chisel wasn’t really up to the job so I’ve purchased a couple of new ones to help with building the replacement top frame for the arches. (In line with current blogging practice, I should point out that I am not being paid by Trojan to mention their product or brand).