While walking around the garden I spotted that I had a visitor who had got trapped under the protective nets in the vegetable patch. I’m not sure how, whether it fell through a gap or somehow crawled up though a gap at the bottom of the raised bed. I don’t see many crickets in the garden. I head them a lot when I’m out walking through fields, but don’t see them, so it’s a nice reversal to see them but not hear them. Its safely out of the netting and resting on another leave.
I’ve now finished and placed out all the new raised beds. I do though seem to have made a miscalculation in the number of bin liners I needed to line the insides of them. I have two completely unused rolls of bags (and a partly used roll that isn’t in the photo). Thankfully with something like these, I’ll always be able to use them up as time goes past.
I’ve been going great guns on building the new raised beds and only have 3 more left to have ‘refurbished’ all of them in the last year. Hopefully they won’t need replacing for a good number of years after this. In the meantime the remains of the old ones remain. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to re-purpose some of the wood rather than it automatically being either recycled or used as firewood.
I have turned the raw materials (decking and a fence post) that I bought a while back into a replacement raised bed. I’m very happy with the result and while at close inspection it shows that it is home made, when it is sitting at the bottom of the garden, even from the mid level it will look as good as anything else that’s there. I’ve also added an internal lining of bin-bags to hopefully extend the lifetime of the wood and stop it rotting too quickly. There is the added bonus with some of the other raised beds starting to fall apart, it is good to know that I can produce a replacement at a reasonable price within a few hours.
Having replaced 2 of the 3 rotting sleeper based raised beds that I have, I decided that I would have a go at building one myself as it would be cheaper. There are some quite cheap raised beds available to buy but the material isn’t always great, so I opted for cheaper than the ones I normally buy. I managed to achieve that with what I bought from the store. In the picture are 4 planks of decking which will be cut in half to provide double the height of one and thus a deeper bed, and a wooden fence post for securing the corners.
This is what has replaced the sleeper based raised bed. It’s roughly the same size (maybe a little bit smaller) in terms of content, but as can be seen, the border itself is not as wide. I will get some turf in a few weeks time to make the area look nicer. It has made me realise that if I wanted to, I could probably move the raised beds a little closer and fit another 3 in, but for the time being I’ll make do with the 12 that I have.
I’m slowly revamping the vegetable area with some newer raised beds. These ‘sleepers’ are from the original raised bed that I created over 10 years ago. That area of the garden has changed a lot in those 10 years, not just in size but in style. A lot of this wood is rotten on the whole and once some of the dirt has been washed off by the rain I’ll be able to work out if I can reuse any of it.