Again, one of thos rare picture posts that I didn’t think I would do when I started this project, but a colander sums up work today. We have had a lot of rain in the last 24 hours and as a result we seem to have a couple of leaks coming through the ceiling. It’s led to quite a bit of hassle in terms of desk moves and notifying people. Upon asking others in the building one of the comments I was given was that the placed leaked like a colander. How long it takes to resolve this issue would be anyones guess, but I’m suspecting that it will be a number of weeks at least until the matter is resolved.
It’s our yearly church BBQ today and I’ve agreed to take bring along a gazebo that I own. The plan being that people can shelter from the sun if they want to. Of course being the UK and there being the words BBQ the gazebo will be used to help those brave enough to go outside to shelter from the rain, including the BBQer in chief. Having had a long hot summer, today has to be one of the wettest days of the summer and it really has been tipping it down. Everyone is quite rightly staying indoors and I will have no choice but to get soaked taking it down. I’m finally feeling a bit better so I’m hoping that this drencing won’t make me ill again!
I had one of those moments today. You know the ones. The ones where you hang your head and think ‘Oh no’. So I’m driving home from work and all of a sudden the car is making a really bad noise, and I mean really bad. From inside and from my experience, it sounds as if half the car is hanging off. I even take a few seconds to kneel in torrential rain and can see something massive hanging down, but it’s awful weather and I’m not going to kneel in a puddle for long. The garage across the road are kind and put the car on a ramp and much to my relief it wasn’t part of the car but a big part of a tree. Big enough to stretch the width of the car. Even the mechanic who put the car on the ramp admitted it sounded awful. I felt a bit foolish, but then given how it was stuck I doubt I’d have been able to get it out without a ramp. I can only assume I picked it up in one of the flooded areas of roadway at work.
We have had some rain, and this time it’s been a decent amount. So dry are the water butts that everything garden related that I could put out to collect water was in the garden doing so. In the end I managed to get a decent amount collected as I’ve refilled one of the water butts that isn’t connected to any guttering. The other is half full. From the forecast for the coming month this water is going to be needed.
The heatwave is over, at least for a few days given the weather forecasts. We have had some rain and the temperature has dropped a bit. To be honest it hasn’t been a lot of rain and its not going to do much in terms of providing relief to the plant life that had probably started to wonder if it had been moved to a different planet. This relief has had a downside as well though, and with the clouds that have come with it, seeing the Blood Moon that was due tonight is now not going to happen.
As I’ve mentioned before, we’ve been having a long hot spell with no rain at least where I am. While I am sure that it will recover, the lawn, as you can see is suffering. It’s gone past the brown stage and now starting to look more like hay than grass. It’s so dry that when I walk on it to get to other parts of the garden I hear it crush and crack underfoot.
Despite some inclement weather today (light rain for most of the late afternoon), I’ve managed to get the second new top frame up and connected to the grapevine arches. There are still a couple of small things to do for it to be totally finalised, but the important parts are now complete. The remainder will have to wait for better weather. Hopefully this will mean that I don’t need to work on this part of the garden for a number of years.