One of my jobs earlier in the year was to do a minor work on the patio doors to ensure that they shut propperly for the winter with all the locking points connecting to create a proper seal from the elements outside. With that successul the next thing I want to do is to replace what is called the slave lock on one of the doors. The original one had suffered as a result of the weather being able to sneak in. While it does still work, it’s very stiff to use, often needing a screwdriver to act as a lever to help raise the bolt. Therefore, so that I can freely open both patio doors I’ve purchased a replacement lock. A few measurements and a bit of internet searching and I had found what I needed. I won’t fit it to next year as there’s no need to now, but it will be nice not to wonder if I really want to have both doors open in what I hope will be another nice summer.
All the replastering that I’ve been having to do in the kitchen before painting has been becoming somewhat time consuming. While it has been great for the arm muscles, it is slowing down progress far too much. I have therefore purchased a mini sander which will do the job far quicker and hopefully enable me to get back on track with my own personal timetable for getting the kitchen painting finished. I do like it and I will be able to use it on some other projects that I would like to do next year, so it won’t be a one time usage.
With all the good weather that we’ve had it’s been easy to forget that there are inside jobs that need to be done. Now I’m still going to enjoy being outside as lets be honest, in the UK we don’t get long hot summers very often. However I want to gradually get things ready for when the weather truly does turn and I’m stuck inside. Part of that will be redecorating and giving the house a lick of paint. This has been ongoing over the last few years and next on my list is the kitchen (sage), the hall (ivory cream) and the main bedroom (barley haze). I have an issue with paint though in that I’m colourblind. If I’m buying then I’m normally with a friend or I’m replacing like with like. I’ve done that with the above in part. The hall is already ivory cream so that’s going to be like for like. The main bedroom is going to be an experiment with the barley haze. It’s probably a little lighter than the current colour scheme, but it should make the room seem a bit lighter. There will be lots of preparation needed for this and I suspect I’ll only get the kitchen and hall done this year, but that’s two more rooms done and only two left for next year.
Pleased with the success of my previous repair job I elected to sort out the next really obvious wall issue that I had. At the start it didn’t look like this as it had been a case of some blown plaster. None had come off and it it just stuck out from the all a bit. Again, most people probably wouldn’t notice it, but as this wasn’t behind a curtain, I would see it every time I when up and down the stairs. I like to do a proper job so I wanted to get rid of all of the plaster that was loose, even if it could have been left. The idea being that if I did that, then the chance of it happening again would be reduced. As a result the area that would need to be re-plastered was larger than originally expected. That said, it’s nothing that a basic ready made plaster filler can’t deal with, even if it has to be done in sections to reduce the size each time, allowing the filler to set properly each time.
For a long time now I have had a small hole where some plasterboard fell in. It’s never been an urgent repair job as it’s been by a window and has been covered by a curtains. I would hazard a guess that everyone else who has been to the house would be blissfully unaware it’s there such is it’s nature, and the photo makes it look larger than it really is. With poorer weather now starting to appear it’s time deal with some of the minor jobs around the house. I’d wondered for a while how I would ever fix this as any plaster would also fall into the hole. As is often the case now-a-days, the internet came to the rescue and I discovered these thin, self adhesive patches. As it was in the corner I had to trim the mesh, but then used those bits to provide extra strength towards the base. I won’t need to apply a lot of plaster to now cover this and it’s solved a long term repair job.
Having successfully put up 3 sets of shelves, I couldn’t put up the remaining 3 sets without taking down or removing long standing shelving options that were either of no real use or reaching the end of their usable lifespan. There were a number of small 3 inch deep shelf units which came down in favour of shelves that were about 15 inches deep. Out came a very old bookcase (probably about 20 years old) that was falling apart in a number of areas, but given how old it was I feel I’ve had value for money from it. There was also a fibreboard shelf attached to the crossbeams of the garage. I’ve no idea what that was for unless it was to hide things from people who wouldn’t be looking very closely. It will all go to the recycling depot later in the week so even though it has no purpose now, its current situation may not be final.
To continue with the shelving work in the garage I have had to start taking down some of the items left of the garage walls from previous owners. I took one item down to prepare for the next set of shelves only to find a name scratched into a brick. The house has had a number of previous owners and I doubt I’ll ever know who Mary is, or was. It may even have been done by someone who was visiting. All I do know is that if I take other items down and come across the name Joseph I’ll start to see the garage in a new light!