Day 363 – 29th December – Coming through for 2019

Day 363 20181229

Once flowers in my garden have finished blooming, I will try to harvest as much seed as possible. Most of these are in envelopes staying cool in tins in the garage. However the advise was to plant any alium seeds and nodules this year rather than wait. These are from the Alium Rosum that I sowed a few weeks back and from the nodules it grows rather than the seeds. Whether this will mean I have a profusion of these in the coming year I don’t know, but it will be nice to have a load more at no extra cost!

Advertisements

Day 349 – 15th December – Patio Clearance

Day 349 20181215

The weather is still quite mild but I decided that it was a good time to finally move all the less hardy plants from the patio and walls into the greenhouse before they do get caught by a cold stint. Also crammed into the greenhouse were the water plants from the water features that need to avoid being in frozen water. They will now stay here for a few months and I’ll top up the water every now and again, though at this time of year they don’t need much.

Day 313 – 9th November – Packing for Winter (Part 1)

Day 313 20181109

Now that the weather is slowly starting to turn its time to protect the plants that are more vulnerable to the cold. What has been slightly difficult has been that many plants are still flowering even though they need to be overwintered. However one set of plants that can go in at this point are the soft fruits in pots. So here, ready for the winter are the blueberries, white, red and black currants and the goji berry. Given most of these survived the extreme winter from the start of the year, they should be fine here and I’ll just keep them topped up water wise once a week if needed.

Day 231 – 19th August -Green for Red

Day 231 20180819

I’ve had my first harvest from the greenhouse. I only have my tomatoes and peppers/chillies in there and while it was probably a close run thing as to which would go red first, it was the tomatoes that won the race. So far it’s just these three but there are plenty more to come. Likewise I’ll have a number of peppers/chillies to harvest as well soon but they were still green. Both have to move from green to red which thankfully I can spot despite the colourblind issue. Last year I made a load of tomato and chilli soup which worked very well, but I may leave that for the end of the season harvest rather than the early harvest as it’s still summer and cold tomatoes are a summer food.

Day 213 – 1st August – People in glasshouses, occasionally have to repair them

Day 213 20180801

I noticed the other day that my greenhouse door wasn’t closing properly. Further investigation revealed some bolts and covers had come loose. Given how often the door has been opened and shut recently with the hot weather I’m not surprised. The greenhouse is slightly different from most in that it is octagonal. However it serves its purpose well. As you can see from the photo the bottom of the door panel had lost a few bolts and these needed to be screwed back in. Unfortunately it was at the hinge side of the door so it was a little awkward and not being able to see both sides at the same time meant I was working ‘blind’ as they say. It took a few attempts but eventually I was able to get the bolt and the nut to connect and screw together tightly.

Day 185 – 4th July – Cutting things out

Day 185 20180704

While the weather is remaining very dry and warm, I have chosen to try to protect the garden a bit from the extreme weather we had earlier in the year when the temperatures dropped lower than I can remember and I lost a number of plants, even though they had been overwintered in the greenhouse. First on my list is the training geraniums that I have in small wall pots. While it was easy enough to buy some replacements, it would be good if I had some growing ready as replacements if the cold weather comes again. The trailing geraniums aren’t the largest so it’s some quite small cuttings I’ve had to take, but I’m hoping that won’t make too big a difference and that maybe half of them at least will root and be viable replacements if needed next year.

 

Day 115 – 25th April – Replacement Parts

Day 115 20180425

We had a particularly cold winter this year, at least for the UK and as a result, even in the greenhouse, not all the pot plants survived. The major hit was to the geraniums that I had. (These would be the Pelargonium geraniums as opposed to the hardy ones planted out). Due to them not being in season until now I have had to wait to replace them, but being able to plant them out today was nice and has helped to fill some of the gaps on the patio.