Day 100 – 10th April – Wild re-purposing

Day 100 20180410

So to celebrate getting to the 100th day of the year and the 100th picture and comment for the year I am sure something more exciting than a old plastic crate. However this is now my next project for the garden. A colleague was talking about their micropond attracting wildlife in their garden and that they now had frogspawn in it. This set me wondering to how to create a similar haven in my garden. Cue a search of the internet and something made of solid plastic that won’t rot seemed ideal. So, the plan is to line this crate, sink it to ground level, put in some levelling for shallow access and some plants and have some rocks etc around the edge to hide the plastic. I’ll let you know later in the year how this all works out.

Advertisements

Day 98 – 8th April – Connecting the Parts (pt2)

Day 98 20180408

Despite some inclement weather today (light rain for most of the late afternoon), I’ve managed to get the second new top frame up and connected to the grapevine arches. There are still a couple of small things to do for it to be totally finalised, but the important parts are now complete. The remainder will have to wait for better weather. Hopefully this will mean that I don’t need to work on this part of the garden for a number of years.

Day 96 – 6th April – Connecting the Parts (pt 1)

Day 96 20180406

So with the wood ready to put in place I’ve replaced one set (two cross beams and 6 connecting batons) of the grapevine arches top frame. Happily enough, just about everything matched up and while it’s not quite perfect, most of the major connections lined up and I was able to remove and replace in a relatively short period of time. I should be able to get the second set up before the end of the weekend.

Day 95 – 5th April – Chipping Away

Day 95 20180405

With the raised beds now finished I still haven’t finished with the wood work. I have noticed that the top frame of the grape vine arches has rotted to the point it needs replacing. So I’ve marked up some new wooden batons and chiselled out the various connecting areas to create the overlapping connections where it will be screwed into the existing frame which remains good.

Day 94 – 4th April – Excess Waste

Day 94 20180404

I’ve now finished and placed out all the new raised beds. I do though seem to have made a miscalculation in the number of bin liners I needed to line the insides of them. I have two completely unused rolls of bags (and a partly used roll that isn’t in the photo). Thankfully with something like these, I’ll always be able to use them up as time goes past.

Day 92 – 2nd April – Are you receiving me?

Day 92 20180402

ike many people, when I’m working in the garden I will have the radio on. I’ll flick between channels and depending upon where I am in the garden, it’s location will change. Sadly, due to a slamming gate, the aerial suffered a decapitation today. Thankfully it still works fine and I suspect part of that is with it being a digital radio rather than an analogue one.

Day 90 – 31st March – Peas to you

Day 90 20180331

OK, so it’s a play on a religious term but given it’s Easter weekend I thought I’d be allowed the pun. The weather forecast was poor today so I decided that a day in the garden, where I could rush to shelter if needed would be good (in the end it was dry most of the day). There was a lot to do but after 11 hours I’d made good progress. The lawn was cut, the raised beds finished and installed, seeds sown either directly or to seed trays for both flowers and vegetables. There’s still a lot more to do, but a lot of the main work has now been sorted. The photo is of the pea netting installed in one of the new raised beds. One of the many tasks I got through.