So to celebrate getting to the 100th day of the year and the 100th picture and comment for the year I am sure something more exciting than a old plastic crate. However this is now my next project for the garden. A colleague was talking about their micropond attracting wildlife in their garden and that they now had frogspawn in it. This set me wondering to how to create a similar haven in my garden. Cue a search of the internet and something made of solid plastic that won’t rot seemed ideal. So, the plan is to line this crate, sink it to ground level, put in some levelling for shallow access and some plants and have some rocks etc around the edge to hide the plastic. I’ll let you know later in the year how this all works out.
As we probably all do now a days I recently ordered a DVD. It was a pre-order and today it was delivered. What shocked me was declaration sticker on it featured above. It starts quite normally but then moves onto confirming that the item isn’t dangerous etc. I appreciate that it is probably a legal form of wording for the company to cover themselves and to ensure that things go though customs quickly, however I did end up thinking ‘but this was just a DVD I ordered’.
Despite some inclement weather today (light rain for most of the late afternoon), I’ve managed to get the second new top frame up and connected to the grapevine arches. There are still a couple of small things to do for it to be totally finalised, but the important parts are now complete. The remainder will have to wait for better weather. Hopefully this will mean that I don’t need to work on this part of the garden for a number of years.
It’s always nice to be followed and I’m grateful for the people who follow me on this and find some of what I say either interesting or entertaining. On today’s long walk I collected some extra followers, though I suspect they won’t be logging on to follow the blog. They were at the end of the field I was walking through and I took a looping route to avoid walking through the middle of them. On going past one decided to start following me (possibly it had picked up on the chocolate bar in my rucksack), but that quickly became the whole group. The style wasn’t far away and I’ve been followed by cows in the past (even nudged by them trying to access my rucksack, again I suspect for the food in there) and know that generally they won’t cause trouble. Once I was over the style they stood there and complained a little at not being fed. I however would be within about an hour of having acquired my new fan club.
So with the wood ready to put in place I’ve replaced one set (two cross beams and 6 connecting batons) of the grapevine arches top frame. Happily enough, just about everything matched up and while it’s not quite perfect, most of the major connections lined up and I was able to remove and replace in a relatively short period of time. I should be able to get the second set up before the end of the weekend.
With the raised beds now finished I still haven’t finished with the wood work. I have noticed that the top frame of the grape vine arches has rotted to the point it needs replacing. So I’ve marked up some new wooden batons and chiselled out the various connecting areas to create the overlapping connections where it will be screwed into the existing frame which remains good.
I’ve now finished and placed out all the new raised beds. I do though seem to have made a miscalculation in the number of bin liners I needed to line the insides of them. I have two completely unused rolls of bags (and a partly used roll that isn’t in the photo). Thankfully with something like these, I’ll always be able to use them up as time goes past.